Memorial Stone Installation Date: June 1, 2021
Location: 145 Ledge Hill Road, Guilford, Connecticut. The stone is located below the plaque for Harriet Beecher Stowe across from St. John’s Episcopal Church.
Tombo/Thomas Beau first appears in the North Guilford Congregational Church records. He was enslaved by the Reverend Thomas Bray and raised a family in North Guilford with his first wife Pender. He later was freed (although we have no record) and married Candace (1792) after the death of Pender. Candace was the daughter of Phillis and Montros. Tombo changed his name to Thomas Bray, Thomas Beau, and Thomas Bow. He and Candace lived on Montros’s property in Nut Plains.